6th Grade Standard - 6.RP.A.3b
Ratios & Proportional Relationships
Solve unit rate problems including those involving unit pricing and constant speed. For example, if it took 7 hours to mow 4 lawns, then at that rate, how many lawns could be mowed in 35 hours? At what rate were lawns being mowed?
LESSON: VACATION DAY
Can the guard afford the all-inclusive resort?
Being able to work with dollars as units relative to time is one of the most fundamental standards to prepare students for financial literacy. In Vacation Day, Cicero the Guard and his colleague are discussing vacation. Cicero gets one day of vacation every year. This year he wants to go to an all-inclusive resort, and he hopes to get a pedicure. Students must determine whether Cicero can afford to go to the resort. The data provided are Cicero’s Guard contract and the resort pamphlet. The contract states that he earns 4 denari every 7 days of work. The pamphlet states the resort costs 22 denari, and Cicero has written on the pamphlet that he has 35 days until his vacation day.
- Play Vacation Day Immersion video, whole-class.
- Restate the question: Can the guard afford the all-inclusive resort?
- Facilitate classroom discussion, ask students: "What do we need to know?"
2. Data & Computation
- Print the Data Artifact, cut into halves, and distribute to students.
- Allow students work time. Then ask students "Does your answer make sense?"
- Consider using a sharing protocol to lead to mathematical insights and/or highlight misconceptions.
- Allow students to revise their work.
Answer: Cicero cannot afford the resort. He is 2 denari short.
1. Have your students go to midschoolmath.com/clicker.
2. Click on Launch Clicker Quiz and note Clicker Quiz #.
3. Have students enter quiz code on their screens.
4. Launch Clicker Quiz.
5. Review Clicker Quiz results and prompt students to make connections to the Math Simulator.
1. Print and distribute the Practice Printable to your students.
2. Print the Teacher Answer Key.
3. Give a short 5-7 minute teacher lecture on the concept of the standard.
4. Have students complete the Practice Printable.
5. Have students complete the Student Reflection Assignment.